Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Heroes of Today aren't the Heroes of Yesterday

What most people today find as heroes is kind of skewed and misunderstood. Governors will get up and simply talk about labor issues and become a hero to the people it affects. A celebrity has a gender change, they are perceived as heroes to everyone by the media and fans. A mom raising a child can be considered a hero. Are these people truly heroic? Don't get me wrong, these types of people and many more have done great deeds that allow them to earn that respect of praise, but wouldn't they be  more along the line of role models or saints? People who simply do good deeds or done things that expressed themselves or possibly achieved riches like some CEO of a company.

Some don't even deserve praise like Kim Davis, Rowan County Clerk in Kentucky, who is described as a hero to many extreme religious groups. She is thought of a person who has stood up to the Government and the Supreme Court by expressing her moral values of her religion when it came to marriage. Unfortunately the reality of the situation isn't that sugar coated, and her troubles from the federal government came from denying the rights of not just homosexual, but heterosexuals as well, on their ability to gain a marriage certificate. A county clerks position is an elected position just like any political or sheriff position; positions that swear to serve the people and up hold the constitution for their county. So this makes her no different from a corrupt senator going against his/her duties. Of course this is a bit of an extreme example but she is still considered a hero to many and a bad person all the same. Something to think about.

The definition of of heroes has become something more of a personal opinion on a person rather than a title. The Ancient Greeks defined a hero as person who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage, bravery, or self-sacrifice for the greater good. People like our Founding Fathers, Medal of Honor recipients, fire fighters, Martin Luther King Jr., etcetera, and etcetera, are true hero who lead and go above the norm through difficult times that would end their lives or status. Take a look at Moses from the Bible, who lead the Hebrews out of Egypt and away from their destine slavery. 

I would encourage everyone, especially my readers, to at least consider their usage of the word hero. It's one thing to call someone a role model but that doesn't necessarily make them a hero by any true definition. With that said, I cannot make someone believe a certain way, for even the definition of a modern day hero has changed from the ancients times. I believe everyone has the chance and quality to become a hero, and it takes determination and selfless thought, but please don't use the term so loosely.  




For more information, you can go to this site for more understanding on Greek Heroes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero

Modern Definition of Hero:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hero



What do you think? Maybe my view on a bonafide hero is not correct? How do you think the term hero should be used as? Is Venice, Italy sinking or is the water levels rising (Yes! Their is a difference)??? Please leave a comment!

PS: I believe women can be heroes. They are called Heroines! :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you (on nearly every point) and I actually wrote a similar blog post to yours. I don't think someone should be considered a hero for not doing a job that they signed up for. Although I applaud Kim Davis for standing up for her moral beliefs, I think she went about it the wrong way. I once worked with an A-10 fighter pilot who was a devout Mormon. He was a man of God and had strong beliefs about killing other human beings, but he also signed up for the job he had. At the end of the Gulf War, he had more kills than any other A-10 pilot in the Air Force. I don't know how he justified his actions in his head...maybe he viewed protecting our country and killing our enemies, as a necessary evil, but Kim Davis failed in her attempts to stand by her convictions. She forgot that you can't have your cake and eat it too. By accepting the position of county clerk, she accepted that she would have to help carry out the laws of her county and state. Once she realized that her beliefs were not in tune with the laws, she should have resigned. I am in no way saying she is right or wrong in her beliefs, only that she messed up in the handling of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replying as an Ex-Mormon here. Their church actually addresses the issue that faces some military members. I believed they released a video addressing the difficult challenge this gentleman faced. You said "I don't know how he justified his actions in his head..." How would it be any different from any other Christian or any decent human being?

      Delete
  2. BTW - Your post is not showing up in the class Blog Roll. I happened to find it when I was doing research for my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUDE!! BRO!! BUDDY!! I completely agree with your ENTIRE post. Kim Davis is not a hero. Heroes follow laws that are used to protect people. Only extremists and morons will see her ways as morally correct. (P.S.....error in the 1st sentence of the 3rd paragraph) Yea, a hero is also an opinion based thing. Some may view a person as helpful, others may see the person as harmful.

    ReplyDelete