Saturday, September 26, 2015

Sophocles

I found Sophocles's theory on tragedy to be more straight to the point and his characters more human with many flaws. Unlike other stories of tragedies, he wants to illustrate his characters on how they behave and what he or she must do given the harsh circumstances they are in, instead of figuring out why they are in the situation.  Looking at Oedipus the King, we find that even though the oracles say he was fated to kill his father and murder his mother, he still maintain free will throughout the story. We already know what has already happened as readers and audiences, but we are still entertained on how Oedipus acts in his situation.


Reference:
http://osf1.gmu.edu/~lsmithg/astragedy.htm

1 comment:

  1. I don't think he had free will. I think whatever he would have done in the play, the prophecy would have come true. There was no way to avoid his fate.

    ReplyDelete