When I was 17 in high school, I had my whole life planned out: go to Georgia State University (accepted), apply for a full-ride ROTC Scholarship (pending), then commission into the U.S. Army as a brand new Lieutenant. Unfortunately my mother got sick three days before my eighteenth birthday and died a month later. This didn't crush me (which it did) as much as how it confused me on the outlook of my life. For the first time, how I perceived the world changed in the blink of an eye and I found myself lost and stumbling over what I thought was my goal in life. I lost focus on why I worked hard and 2 weeks later, I went to go see a National Guard recruiter, enlisted, never looked back. It was the push I needed to not only bounce back, but come back stronger to be able to face harder challenges.
It's a much different experience when someone close to you dies and you have to leave in less then 3 months to face the hardest challenge so far in your life, and then return knowing home isn't the same. From this experience I've learned to make home where you make it as long as you're happy.
What you do you think? Are people best described by their changes? Do you like baking? Please leave a comment!
Wow, that is a big change. Death is definitely something that throws a cog into the mix. The good thing though is that you allowed that experience to make you stronger. That's what we all need to do when dealt a bad hand in life.
ReplyDelete